Looking to establish a waste management business in Florida?

Like every business, you need to apply for certain permits to get into the waste management industry. Let’s take a look at the types of businesses included:

  • Waste Collection

Businesses that take care of waste collection are responsible for collecting hazardous, non-hazardous and/or recyclable waste in a designated area, or running waste transfer stations. Companies that collect hazardous waste may also be responsible for identifying, treating, packaging and labeling waste for transport.

  • Waste Disposal and Treatment

These businesses are equipped with waste treatment and disposal facilities and are generally responsible for the effective treatment and disposal of the collected garbage. These are the companies that typically run incinerators, landfills and compost dumps.

These companies may also provide the combined service of garbage collection from designated areas and subsequent disposal and treatment.

  • Other Waste Management Services

These businesses are involved in remediation services or other waste management services like providing equipment and garbage trucks for sale and so on.

If the business you’d like to start is one of the above, you’re in the right place. Before you start applying for permits, here are a few general considerations:

  • Register with the Florida Department of State

Before you can start any kind of business in the state of Florida, you have to register your company with the Department of State’s Division of Corporations.

Their website allows you to access registration information for corporations, LLCs, LLPs, fictitious name registrations, judgment liens, and trademarks. You can e-file or complete an online form and file documentation on their website to register your company in Florida.

  • Apply for an EIN at the IRS

The IRS (Internal Revenue Service) is responsible for collecting taxes and upholding tax law in the United States.

If you intend to hire employees at your company, which you probably would, you are required by the IRS to apply for an EIN (Employer Identification Number) so that you can report employment taxes or provide tax statements to your employees. Businesses, except partnerships, must file an annual income tax return with the IRS.

  • Register with the Department of Revenue

You have to register with the Department of Revenue to pay state business taxes that include Sales and Use Taxes, Reemployment Taxes, Discretionary Sales Surtaxes, and other business taxes.

The Florida Department of Revenue also manages the State of Florida’s New Hire Reporting program. You have to register with this program to report newly hired, rehired and temporary employees within 20 days of their joining dates.

Once you’re through with these steps, it’s time to apply for a license from these organizations:

  • The Florida Department of Health

The Florida Department of Health works to protect and improve the health of all residents in the state of Florida. If you’re looking to start a business that collects, stores, and treats biomedical waste, you need to obtain the respective licenses from this organization.

These are the licenses you need to apply for:

  • Biomedical Waste Generator Permit
  • Biomedical Waste Storage Permit
  • Biomedical Waste Transporter Registration
  • Biomedical Waste Treatment Facility Permit

  • The Florida Department of Environmental Protection

The DEP is involved in protecting the environment in Florida. Several businesses have to obtain Air, Waste and Water permits from this department, and that includes waste management businesses.

Waste management companies should also coordinate with the Florida Department of Environmental Protection to figure out the licenses, permits, and registrations they need, according to the exact nature of their business.

Starting a business is a huge deal, but it is always accompanied by a ton of formalities and paperwork. All the more so with waste management companies, since they have a big impact on the health of people and the environment in general. So, before you go full steam ahead, make sure you have all the right permits and licenses in place.