Find out how wiper blade works, what it is made of, what its useful life. Let’s know all about wiper blades.The wiper blades remove excess water from the windshield, ensuring visibility as a vehicle safety item.The function of this part is to remove water or any other substance that impairs visibility. When the windshield wiper is operated voluntarily or autonomously, it removes excess water or debris on the windshield, which impairs the visibility of the occupants of the vehicle. The technology used in the selection of the material of the wiper blades is complex, requiring the engineers to face the conditions of:
- Friction – Coefficient of precise friction in front of the glass of the windshield through the pressure of the wiper rod, maintaining the same performance when overcoming several challenges:
- The curvature angles of the windshield;
- The different levels of speeds, both the drive and the vehicle itself;
- The vanes must preserve the friction required in different surface conditions, whether: with the dry windshield; with the beginning of rain with little water; or under heavy rain, which will require another level of friction;
- And also for situations of solid debris deposited on the windshield, the rubber blade of the vane should allow its deformation, avoiding scratches on the windshield.
- Noise – Characteristic in the use of rubbers of little deformation or rubbers deteriorated (dry), promoting from the noise until shaking.
- Durability – Use of materials and coatings that guarantee their integrity, resisting climatic inclement weather, such as: rain / humidity, intense heat coming from the strong sun, intense cold from winter, chemical attacks by substances that are thrown on the windshield from the ground, such as oil derivates.
- Aerodynamics – They show greater stability due to integrated spoilers, and joints with flexible structures, developed for different aerodynamic pressures.
- Cost – All these noble materials, and costly development and production costs, still resulting in competitive prices.
Symptoms & service life of wiper blades
- Trepidation of the reeds;
- Non-characteristic noise;
- Non-uniform water flow;
- Banding or scratching on windshield.
We recommend replacing it every six months however it is necessary to perform periodic inspections ensuring their perfect functioning, since it is a safety item.
It is worth remembering that damaged vanes can damage all the drive rods of the cleaners, as well as the electric drive motor.
Look into www.autodoc.co.uk to order most suitable wiper blades according to your vehicle.